Although being one of the most intensive periods, harvest time is one of the most joyful one. It involves family, friends, lots of curiosity and enthusiasm towards the coming new wine.
Keeping the togetherness spirit, the farmers of Piemonte have devoted for the occasion the Bagna Cauda, a socializing dish to be eaten together. Like the harvest, it needs to be arranged in advanced: beside 2 days ahead to start preparations, you need also to invite the right people to share your plate with.
Ingredients (serve 4)
275 gr. olive oil
240 gr. Salted Anchovies fillet
4 Garlic heads, all cloves peeled.
250 ml. Milk
Plate of fresh vegetables like carrots, celery, bell peppers, endive, cauliflower – Washed and sliced.
Personal spirit stoves (or Fondue ones) , candles.
- Soak the garlic in the milk for at least two days. Keep covered refrigerated.
- On serving day: wash the anchovies fillet from the salt. Carefully clean them from all fishbone. Chop well.
- Drain the garlic from the milk, chop well.
- Preferably in a clay (Terra Cotta) dish, (else in a pan) warm the oil, add the chopped anchovies, stir constantly until it melts. Add the chopped garlic and keep on stirring. Let cook for about 20 minutes on a very low fire.
- Serving: light the candles under the spirit stoves, pure the Bagna Cauda sauce. Make sure it is almost boiling throughout meal time. Dip the fresh veggies in the sauce and eat until veggies or sauce is finished (After all, you don’t have to be back to the harvest…).
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!