Zuppa di Farro
A latest local debate published world-wide, regarding the presence of different ethnic cuisine in Lucca, provided us with a glance into the strong pride Lucca people feel towards their tradition. Cuisine wise, we talk about Zuppa di Farro, otherwise known as spelt soup, now an obligated item in all local restaurant’s menus.
Spelt was the first wheat to be introduced in Italy. Now days it grows mainly on the nearby Garfagnana mountains. In summer time we enjoy fresh spelt salads, while winter requires its fabulous local dish, Spelt soup with beans.
Ingredients (serve 4)
- 150 gr. Spelt
200 gr. dry brown beans (Borlotti, Pinto beans)
1 small onion
1 stalk of celery
1 spoon tomato sauce
1 leave of fresh rosemary
Extra virgin olive oil
Fresh ground pepper
- Soak beans in fresh water for the night. Boil beans in 1.5 liter of salted water (1 spoon of salt).
- When beans are cooked, mince half of the quantity and replace into the pot. Keep
- Chop the carrot, celery and onion. In another pot fry it with 5 spoons of oil for several minutes.
- Mix the tomato sauce with a bit of water and add to the pot. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Pure the beans mix (with liquids) into the other pot. Add salt and pepper and rosemary.
- Add the spelt and stir well. If needs add boiling water and cook for at least one hour.
- Wait at least one hour before serving.
- Serving: sprinkle with Extra Virgin olive oil
The last comment and 1 other comment(s) need to be approved.
Contact Us – Cooking in Toscana
Lucca - Italy | Tel: + 39 0583 997461 | Mobile: + 39 340 3285503 | email@example.com
Condividi questo articolo